Subscribe to RSS feeds

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Elizabeth The Golden Age

Waking up early in the morning on Tuesday this semester is something I thought I would never do. But then for Drama class, EVERYTHING I would do...:-) (suck up)



Watching the Elizabeth film makes me wonder what is the relationship of this story with what I'm learning..ANd till now, I cannot find the relativism of the story with the drama that I'm learning currently..



Well, maybe the power and courage that these both people have.


But after few discussion about the movie, i think there are some connection to play Oedipus.

Even though the play is mostly about the life of Elizabeth as a Queen of England, it also shows the difficulties she faced while she had the throne. First her cousin wants to take her throne, then there comes Spain wanting to take England from her and the most personal problems is regarding to a man that she kind of fall in love with. Most of the challenges she manages to overcome but when it comes to love, she cannot control it.


The storyline came to me very similar with Oedipus storyline, such as Elizabeth is ignorant of the fact that Spain is planning to overtake England and also the fact that her own cousin is planning for her own assassination. Just like Oedipus is ignorant on his own life. In addition, the movies instill the element of prophecies which I believe is necessary in epic Kingship..

1 comments:

eyie said...

Dear Rahimah Md.
I do agree with you that the story quiet similar to the Oedipus Rex except for the end. In the end of Oedipus The King, Oedipus had turn into another man which is completely different from what he was before. Lucky for Elizabeth, she is able to protect herself from downfall. Other than story line, I think one of the thing that you can relate is the setting of the movie. In my opinion, it looks like a stage for a play.

Post a Comment